Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Media Project

The media assignment was a great learning experience for me.  My family recently made the move from our PC's to Macs.  That's important because I was able to use my Mac Airbook to do my entire project quite easily (I say that...now that I have conquered the learning curve, it is easy).  Unfortunately, when I did my interview, I was not able to video my conversation with Dr Spear.  No matter, I took good notes and used some graphics, screen shots, and slides to convey key points of our discussion.  I hope you enjoy it!



I can easily see value in creating mini movies for education.  Now that I have worked with iMovie, I could easily prepare a short video focused on important elements of a module of learning, clarifying complicated concepts, or even streaming several related videos together for a lecture that is broken up with video.   I also like the idea of the "flipped" classroom where students read and view materials ahead of time and then come to class for discussion, peer learning, and practical activity.  Lots of potential for video, podcasting, and other audio/visual technology to enhance education.


http://flippedclassroom.org

5 comments:

  1. Nicely done, Vianne. Impressive use of transitions, graphics, music.

    One thing that's a challenge for me is to try to read something on the screen and listen to narration of something different simultaneously. I just can't absorb both messages fully, so I would have to watch your video several times and make a conscious effort to focus on the screen or the audio separately in order to get everything.

    I've never felt inclined to try out a virtual avatar experience. Listening to you describe your experience with it makes me more open to the idea.

    Cheers,
    KSU Cuz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cuz! Thanks for your comments. I'm glad you mentioned the voice over comments differing from the slide text. I struggled with that. I had way too much information for 5 minutes and I didn't want to read the slides. So, I wasn't sure how to go about it. I wanted to give a visual that would represent the comments, but I didn't feel like I pulled that off in the end. Most importantly, I learned a lot and I would do it again, but I would likely do it a bit more traditional when it comes to the voiced slides. I do like the move effect of the transitions and the ability to include various tools, like video, power point slides, and photos or screen shots.

      The virtual thing was cool. I think it may be a great way to jump-start the group dynamic thing for collaborative projects.

      Thanks again for your thoughts!

      Delete
  2. I found the virtual world quite interesting and thought that it could have been used (or something similar) in our group Wiki projects. Thanks for sharing the "virtual world" with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your presentation and specifically the information regarding the virtual stuff. I have mixed feelings on it, but I think it is something that I would like to try.

    Roy,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vianne,

    That was a wonderful use of the format! You did an excellent job with this! The transitions and music really made this even more enjoyable! Great job!

    ReplyDelete