Monday, October 1, 2012

Audio, Video, Podcast Pros and Cons


This week’ blog assignment is to discuss the pros and cons of audio, video, and podcasts for adult learners.  Over the past few weeks of this course, we have discussed a variety of technology and its place in adult education.  Of all of these options, audio and video seem the most simple to accept as desirable to integrate.  King and Cox (2011) say Web 2-0 tools reduce the distance between instructor and student particularly in the online environment.  I think that is more true with audio/visual than any other tool.  I also think instructors already believe in the power of audio/visual; however, they may not be using it in a way that maximizes that value.

If you haven't had the chance, I encourage you to check out the EDU channel of  You Tube.  Not only does You Tube provide a global classroom for teachers and students, but this site also supports educators with help with incorporating video and providing a platform for creating or contributing to a global classroom.


Pros:

  • Great tool to reinforce complicated concepts or highlight key points
  • Appeals to different learning styles
  • Encourages self-directed learning
  • Portable and always available
  • Students can play back until secure with information
  • Allows for chunking of information
  • Opportunity for deeper content when used as “additional resource”
  • Creates a sense of social presence
  • Allows students to get a glimpse of personality appealing to affect
  • Easily incorporated into most LMS 
  • Many instructional materials can be easily “repurposed” into video format
  • Student created audio/visual products creates an engaging learning opportunity
  • Gives student voice and empowerment while exposing them to peer learning
  • Allows for asynchronous as well as synchronous activity
  • Students can real-time collaborate
  • Real-time conferencing with instructors (office hours)
John Orlando, PhD (2010) offers some guidance to using video in the classroom with his article, Effective Uses of Video in the Classroom submitted to Teaching with Technology, part of Faculty Focus.


As a student, I love video elements in my classes.  I have had instructors record an entire face-to-face lecture and upload it to supplement the readings (this was not my favorite as I tend to zone out if it is too log).  Several of my instructors have used a short video to introduce the week’s module with key points.  Another instructor used video to clarify content that is frequently confusing to students.  Finally, videos created by outside sources have been used as reference to contribute to my learning.  One of the ways to use audio/video listed in the book is as a means for delivering feedback.  I have not experienced this, but I think I would love it!  I am a social person and although I have come to love my online learning environment and even realize it is probably the best environment for me to learn, I wish I had a better feel for personality of my classmates and my instructor.  I think listening to an instructor give feedback on one of my assignments would give me a better feel for the personality of the instructor and the critique.  Instead of reading textual critique, the instructor can expound on thoughts and offer reassurance.  I know that can be done in text, but the tone, inflection of voice and nuance of conversation is missing.  King and Cox (2011, p 58) reference a study that found evidence that students’ perception of the instructor as a caring person was positively influenced with audio feedback, increasing their feeling of satisfaction with their program of study.   

So, what could be bad?  Well, I did come up with a few things to consider when using audio/visual learning tools.

Cons:
  • With so much available as supplemental information, is it too much?  Adult students are time challenged.  The authors (King & cox, 2011) talk about students doing prep work before a class by watching videos in addition to their reading or whatever.  Is it potentially overwhelming?  I think it could be very easy to give so much information that the student could never get through it all.  The instructor will need to balance expectations and be very clear about requirements and supplemental materials. 
  • As with all technology, there is a learning curve and resource requirements.  Does the school provide the needed hardware, software, training, and technical support to the instructors?  
  • Access for students remains a concern.  Is it a reasonable expectation for instructors to assign projects requiring certain technology skills?  Is there a competency level requirement?  Should those be a pre-requisite to a class?  Will this increase the issue of the haves and have-nots?  Will students avoid classes that ask for these skills?                                                                                     
  • Instructors have to be careful not to just video their lectures and call it a day, the “talking head”  (King and Cox, 2011, p 81).  On the other hand, instructors have to be careful about over design.  Not only can learning how to design a visual tool be a threat to some instructors, but those instructors who are technically astute may have a tendency to over design and lose the content in the bells and whistles.  Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.



I can’t imagine an effective learning environment that does not include some kind of audio/visual enhancement.  However, I think it is even more important in an online environment.  There are so many positives to these tools, but I think the most important is the increased feeling of satisfaction for the student and the ability to bring social presence and emotion with conversational nuances to the distance learner.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Vianne,

    Great post, with very comprehensive coverage of the readings for this week, as well as some astute personal insights, especially in your “cons”.

    One thought that keeps coming back to me regarding audio and visual technology use in education is that it is an old concept. There are many new and emerging manifestations or iterations of audio/visual technology, of course, but the whole idea of audio/visual presentation in the classroom seems to have been around for decades. This point is really driven home in a video my wiki group used on our wiki page:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdwEIi22Dv8

    How many of these technologies do you remember encountering throughout your life as a student?

    Also, as may be noted from some of the quotes in the video, there has often been the assumption that the new technologies would somehow render old stalwarts obsolete. However, we still see books, blackboards, and even overhead projectors in use, along with all the new forms of technology.

    This sentence from your blog post points to my thoughts on this: “I also think instructors already believe in the power of audio/visual; however, they may not be using it in a way that maximizes that value.” Audio/visual use has been accepted practice for a long time. The challenge is to harness new forms and capabilities to, as you say, maximize their educative value.

    KSU Cuz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments, Cuz! As someone on the other side of 45, I have seen several of these technologies you referenced through my years of education. The challenge with video now, is to use it more dynamically. When I think of video when I was a kid in school, just the set-up of the projector was laborious, so we never watched more than one video, it was usually long, and not necessarily attention grabbing. Now, video can be inserted throughout a lesson to reinforce, add new perspective, or just bring a concept to life in a visual manner. I have said before that I am a fan of chunking information, and video is a great way to do that. If I am going to dedicate 2 hours to school, I enjoy it much more if I can read a little, write a little, hear a little and/or watch a little. I also like a little humor. One can gain a lot from humor! It can't always be like that (and I have a chapter of research methods calling my name), but when we can bring information to life, we should try. One of the methods King and Cox (2011) discussed was the audio feedback for students. I have not experienced this, but I think it would be very interesting to try. I also think the instructor would be inclined to elaborate more. I think about the feedback on my papers. Wouldn't it be great to see the corrections on my computer screen with audio explanation included? More time for the instructor; but may help that student understand the feedback at a deeper level. Also provides an easy way to offer encouragement.

    Throughout my research for the wiki, I frequently read support for sharing resources for the benefit of teaching. In other words, don't re-create the wheel. Of course, the downside is trying to sift through all that is "out there" to find complementary audio/visual supplements.

    Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate the conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings, Vianne! I am so thankful to finally be in a BRG with you! I always learn so much from your entries and enjoy our interaction. Although I have been reading a few of your blogs during this session, I have not commented due to time and space issues in my own life. :)

    I found value in many of your statements and appreciated your extra effort including information regarding other resources related to audio/visual/podcast opportunities. I especially enjoyed the link related to the YouTube for Schools. My oldest son is now in middle school (6th grade) and has never had anything below a "B" in any given subject and most often all "A"s. The first progress report sent home from the school showed a D and an F in Science and Math. This child is "off the charts" smart when it comes to IQ. What is happening? The ironic thing is that both subjects are taught by the same instructor, hum?? As I reviewed your YouTube posting related to educational offerings, I could not help think of my son's situation. My son is an active, visual and auditory learner and usually just needs to be shown once or twice how to do something and he is off and running! He says math and science are boring. From what we have learned during this session with Dr. Kang (and even prior) the "face" of younger learners is changing. They are constantly "connected", like instant feedback and results and thrive on new technologies. Where does that leave the instructors that have taught "forever" and refuse to change due to the current needs of their students and the changing culture of learning? I am not blaming this instructor (although it may sound like it), my son needs to take responsibility for his learning and we as active parents are involved in his learning process, but where do we go from here?

    One of my favorite books from a prior class within the EDACE program is that of We Make the Road by Walking; Conversations on Education and Social Change (1990). One of the statements made by Paulo applies, I believe to not only our discussion this week, but also to my own example, "For me what is fundamental in the role of the teacher is to help the student discover that inside the difficulties there is a moment of joy" (p. 23). Whether it be tech issues, teaching issues, environmental or culture issues, I want to hope that teachers/instructors/facilitators and learners are in such of that moment of "joy". Am I asking too much?

    I also like the quote (I used it in my own blog post) from King & Cox (2011) which states "The guiding force has been cultivating voice and empowerment within each learner as a person..." (p. 29). We can only wish, hope and pray that we as instructors/facilitators can touch our students in this way, along with wishing, hoping and praying that our children encounter these types of teachers during their own "journey".

    Thanks for sharing!

    Keep up the great work...

    Alicia

    References:

    Bell, B., Gaventa, J., & Peters, J. (1990). We make the road by walking; Conversations on education and social change. Philadelphia, PA: Temple University Press.

    King, K.P., & Thomas, T.D. (2011). The professor's guide to taming technology. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Alicia, I can feel your frustration, concern, and bewilderment. I have 2 boys, one a senior in college and one in the 8th grade. Together they have been in 15 different school (military family). You should also know that I have homeschooled both boys for a year each during middle school. You have several things in your post that I want to respond to.

      First, the transition to middle school is tough. My kids were both ready for the changing classes, different teachers, and increased level of academics; however, they both struggled with the reduction of "fun" in the classroom. They also fell into a habit of disorganization that led to some frustration. Both, were so disenchanted with school and the learning environment that they just checked out. They would go so far as to do homework and not turn it in! This is significant to me because my boys are 8 years apart, and attend different schools, and have very different personalities and academic strengths and yet, they displayed similar behavior and attitude at the same age. This tells me it may be a stage In talking with some other moms with kids this age, I found I was in good company. Now, that doesn't fix the problem and like you said, how much is teacher, learning environment, or child?

      I homeschooled my first child in order to stay on top of him, provide more engaging educational opportunities, and try to instill some self-discipline, self-directed initiative. He went off to high school with a better commitment to his education. Not sure if I helped, or whether he matured; maybe both. I homeschooled my second boy last year (his 7th grade), however, he went back to middle school this year because I found a program that I felt is appropriate for this developmental age. He is in a school that segregates by gender for core classes. So, his math, science, language arts, and foreign language is only boys. The teachers use teaching strategies targeted at boys. They are typically more kinetic, visual focused strategies. The classes are co-ed for all other classes as well as lunch. The school is also very technology progressive. They regularly let the kids use their technology devices in class. The school is on a secure server and the kids agree to only use that server and not their 3G or 4G accessibility. The kids don't want to lose their privilege so no issues. Kids that don't have a device use iPads from the school. Teacher use smart boards in class with a variety of media, You Tube, Google Docs, Animated PP. I watched one language arts class where the teacher was instructing and the kids text their questions. It allows shy kids who won't speak up to ask a question and it helps kids remember their question instead of holding on until the teacher can take the question.

      I could go on and on... Tanner loves to go to school every day!!! he is more engaged than I have ever seen. The school is recognized as a School of Excellence and the principal is presenting papers throughout the Nation and beyond on the benefits of single-gender education and technology in the classroom. The program has its critics, but I am not one.

      Love your reference to Paulo! I recently had an opportunity to talk about the work of Paulo and more specifically Myles Horton, the Highlander Folk School and their efforts in education for social change.

      I am not sure I have helped alleviate your concerns. I could talk all day about the things I have learned and experienced with these kids of mine and our nation's schools: 11 schools in 5 State and 4 in Department of Defense School overseas. Feel free to call or email if you would like to continue this conversation, mom to mom.

      915-433-9053
      vianne@k-state.edu

      Hang in there!

      Delete
    2. Vianne, thank you for your kind and compassionate reply! Wow, 15 different schools; I cannot imagine. I totally respect what you have done to encourage, promote and enhance the learning process of your sons. I appeciate your personal concern for my current "challenge"...mother to mother!

      I will try to call you in the next couple of days; so kind of you to offer your phone number.

      I have recorded your contact infomation, so feel free to delete the data from your blog, if you wish.

      Best Regards,

      Alicia

      Delete
  4. Good reflection on this week's readings, Vianne. Reading your blog entry and your classmates' comments, I can't help jumping in and reemphasizing one key point you and your classmates have made - Social presence. That's exactly one of the several driving forces of the field of distance and online learning. As said by Moore that "distance is a not simply a matter of geographic distance, but is a pedagogical phenomenon. What is important is the effect that geographic separation has on teaching and learning, especially on interaction between learners and teachers, ..." (2005, p. 209). "Social presence" is one such effect that explains why we have been diligently experimenting different technologies. You mentioned voice feedback in your post. You are right on! That's exactly what we are going to experiment this coming week. "Hang in there!"

    Moore went on and said "Transactional Distance [his theory] is a continuous rather than a discrete variable; a program is not *either* distance *or* not distant but *more* distant *or* less distant... there is *some* Transactional Distance in any educational event" (2005, p. 209). That's exactly what you guys are talking about! Even if it is a face to face class with high tech integration, if the kids for some reasons don't like the content or don't like the instructor, it is a "distance" class and the kids will not learn effectively.

    We and our kids are all social beings. One major goal of technology integration into classroom is, as Vianne said, to "bring social presence and emotion with conversational nuances"to the learner.

    Very good discussion, folks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr K,
      Thanks for the feedback! I enjoyed your thoughts on transactional distance. I recall Moore's theory from Teaching Online, but I am not sure I got your perspective which speaks to me even more. In fact, it would help me explain to people why I feel my educational journey online has been far superior than anything I have experienced F2F. As I understand you, Moore tells us there is distance to every learning environment. Students that are not engaged in a F2F class experience a feeling of distance, whereas, as student in a "distance" class that is engaged in curriculum and and participating in the learning process is less removed and feels more connected than the student F2F. Simonson, Smaldino, Albright, and Zvacek (2012) quote Moore as saying, "Transactional distance connotes the interplay among the environment, the individuals and the patterns of behavior in a situation. (p. 44)" It is this interplay that makes the student feel connected and closes the gap of distance. Thanks for the insight. This has really given me an enlightened perspective when considering F2F and distance education.

      Simonson, M.; Smaldino, S.; Albright, M.; and Zvacek, S. (2012). Teaching and Learning at a Distance, Foundations of Distance Education, Fifth Edition. Pearson Education, Inc. Boston MA.

      Delete
  5. If you are interested in Moore's work. This is a good place to start. That's where I got my quotation from.

    Moore, M. & Kearsley, G. (2005). Distance education: A systems view. Belmont, CA: Thomson Wadsworth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, thank you for a very great post! I really feel that posting a lecture and expecting to have students follow along has been the downfall of many and online class and instructor. While posting lectures i ok in the over all course, it can become very dull when this is the "only" content. I have had classes that have pretty much been just this! I can only equate it to a face to face class where the instructor only teaches from a powerpoint straight out of the text! Horrible way to be in class!

    ReplyDelete