Thursday, September 6, 2012

Hype Cycles

Although I am a fan of the blogging assignment and incorporating it in educational ventures, I have discovered a challenge as it relates to our discussion on the comparison with the typical message board.  Each week as we dialog on our threaded message board, if a conversation inspires a new direction of relevant discussion, the student has the ability to start a new thread.  All can see it and respond as inclined.  With the blog, the conversations appear to be so separated that the flow of conversation from one topic to another is missing, which led me to create a new blog post in order to introduce a new thought.  I think this reaction is more likely when all classmates are responding to the same question and therefore generating different, but related conversations on every blog.  This may not be an issue if group members are blogging as a journal and posting thoughts about different topics.  I wonder as my classmates comment on the group's blogs if they will come to a similar conclusion.

Many of my classmates have mentioned they are new to blogging and possibly reluctant with reasonable concerns.  As adult learners, Knowles theory of andragogy explains that we need need to know why we should adopt new knowledge.  How will it impact or become necessary to our lives?  This line of thought reminded me of the Gartner Hype Circle introduced to me in Dr. K's class, Teaching Online.

Simply put, the Gartner Hype Circle examines emerging technologies and place them on a graph to illustrate the path of acceptance or human response to new technologies.  Initially,  there is an overenthusiasm, followed my some disillusionment to eventual understanding of the new technology.  Eventually, those technologies that survive the process will be integrated into personal as well as industry life.  Take E readers for example.  When they first came out there were issues with them and they were expensive.  People were suspicious and hesitant.  Although many still are reluctant, E readers are more popular than ever, affordable, and people are finding more ways to adopt them in their lifestyle.  E readers are here to stay.   

Gartner Research explains their methodology much better than I do. My point is maybe it is helpful to see what technologies, blogging included, are accepted and incorporated and which of those technologies we personally have adopted.  We have discussed the digital divide from various angles and the potential to be "left behind."  If one were consider what Gartner says is imminent to mainstream, maybe it would provide a glimpse to which technologies one should apply effort to learn and adopt .


Here is a graphical explanation of the Hype Cycle 
 

 This is the Gartner Hype Cycle for 2012


This video explains the Hype Cycle in easy language in the first 4 minutes (the rest is an explanation of the instructor's assignment). 
 




As I reviewed this information, I couldn't help but see myself on the Hype Cycle.  First, I am intrigued and excited about something new, then I may experience some frustration and walk away from it for a while.  But, eventually, if it is a worthwhile technology, it will surface again and I will better understand how it will help me.  Finally, with practice, not only does it help me, but it also finds a way into my life that becomes integral.  Please don't take my IPhone away! 


 

6 comments:

  1. Vianne, Greetings!! Great job with your Blog! You have obviously done this before! I enjoyed your graphics and the interactivity of the video.

    I had not heard of the Gartner Hype Cycle prior to reviewing your Blog. What an interesting concept. I can definitely relate to the example you wrote about yourself regarding how you see yourself on the Hype Cycle. I am also intrigued and excited about something new, but can become frustrated (especially with technology!) if I cannot learn the concept quickly. As stated by Knowles (1980, King & Cox) “Adults experience a need to learn in order to cope with more satisfying real-life tasks or problems” (p. 10). A perfect example of this in my own life is the surprising interest and desire I had to complete my Master’s degree completely “on-line”. Any of my friends and family can tell you that I am not the most “tech literate” mouse on the block!! However, I saw a need in my own personal and professional life (“cope with more satisfying real-life tasks or problems”) to achieve this milestone; one of which needed to be completed in the virtual classroom if I was going to continue to successfully balance, home, life, family, work, etc. and stay sane! I knew the uneasiness regarding the virtual classroom and the technology that must follow, would take me out of my comfort zone; but here I am! Just a few weeks from completing my “journey” regarding an on-line Master’s degree (from a very well respected “brick and mortar” institution, I might add). Who knew!! Now I can clearly relate to the benefits of on-line education, blogging as an educational tool and the overall improvement of life’s general functionality, in regard to technology.

    I totally agree…do not take away my iPhone, iPad or laptop! I would have never thought I would utter such words, even just a couple of years ago.

    Thank you for your thought provoking blog!
    Keep up the great work!

    Happy Blogging!
    Alicia

    Source Cited: King, K., & Cox, T. (2011). Professor’s guide to taming technology. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing, Inc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alicia,
      Thanks for your comment. I never would have thought I would do a Master's online, either! I thought I would really miss the F2F interaction of the classroom. Although I miss the casual conversation and impromptu gatherings of being in a classroom, I really do have more meaningful dialog in the online environment. I even chatted with Dr Collins this summer about a Face Book page for online students in the Adult Ed program. I know we have our student lounge message board, but no one seems to use it. FB is familiar to so many and the social context is already understood. I see that she created something similar (Adult Ed student Lounge) in our KSOL organizer, but it is not being used either. I think if we had a FB page for just us, we would be more chatty and share more about our lives because it is purely social allowing for connections and another level of community. Of course, it would be completely voluntary and many may choose not to participate, and that's ok. I am already "friends" with one of our cohort classmates and it has been so nice to learn more about her and her family. Because of our social connection, our support for each other has grown even more. We don't hesitate a bit to reach out for help or encouragement. Oh well, just my thoughts on building a social learning community and other ways to strengthen it.

      Delete
  2. I must say that I too found the Gartner Hype Cycle intriguing. It validates the notion that educators must be careful of the technology they utilize in the classroom. While we all live with technology daily and have come to appreciate it, as the Gartner Hype Cycle demonstrates, some of them or more fad the anything. Therefore, it is essential to utilize technology that has a proven track record, in my opinion, and is “dummy proof”. As has been mentioned throughout this course, one should not become over dependent on technology and spend more time on it than the actually course materials. While I am not a fan of blogging, it has a proven track record of being something that people have embraced. Therefore, it only seems right to train educators on its use - for the appropriate group of people and circumstances. This all fits within Knowles’ (2005) theory that adults must find relevance in their personal lives. With more and more people blogging, it seems only natural to incorporate learning within that practice.

    Knowles, M. (1984). Andragogy in action. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonora, it is always interesting to me to learn what a person's "take-away" is from information. You are right, the Hype Cycle can help sort out the value of technology. However, I am hesitant to discount any technology as fad. It may need more work, or modifications. It may fit a need that hasn't evolved yet. For instance, my youngest (14) will go to college for a job that isn't even known yet. He will use technology that hasn't been created yet, but will become mainstream. The Hype Cycle gives me a glimpse into possibilities of the future. I don't put a lot of time into understanding those types of technological tools, because they aren't ready for me and my world can't utilize it yet. On the other hand, I pay close attention to those tools that are in the 2-5 and 5-10 years of adoption. Hopefully, I am already aware of the 0-2 tools. Don't get me wrong, I am not always excited to learn and incorporate another new thing and I take my time determining worth before I commit. It is sometimes hard for me to change, however, holding on to the technology I am familiar with has it's risks too. Many of us have mentioned our early computers (Commodore 64). Imagine if we weren't willing to move beyond that dinosaur. This week, I am making the move to a Mac and separating from my PC. I will have to suffer a learning curve, but in the long road it will streamline my technology in a way that is far more efficient. Wish me luck!!!

      Delete
  3. Vianne,
    Thanks for such an informative blog. I learned a bunch especially about the Gartner Hype Cycle. I guess I really don't think about technology and the use as much as I should. I am curious about how to incorporate technology into my classes because I want to meet the learning needs of my students. I am so aware of how much the younger students use computer, smartphones, Ipads, etc. in their everyday lives. I know to teach them I too need to meet them in their cyber-world. So, blogging, wikis, podcast, and a whole world of other technology is important to know to challenge them to learn.

    Thank you also for the links on the side of your blog. I find them really helpful. I tend to come to your blog to find our other group members blogs. You are a great help. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn, I commend you for working hard to meet your students in their world. I also think you are on the right track. My 8th grader's school does BYOD several times a week. It stands for Bring Your Own Device and teachers incorporate their smart devices into a particular lesson from searching the internet, to playing with apps, to creating documents and sharing presentations. The school has a secure network and they all agree not to use their 3/4G networks. Kids that do not have their own device are supplied with one to use while at school or the kids work in teams. Yes, here is the place that my concern turns to access because the school just down the street int the same district does not do this.

      You might enjoy this article about how to launch a BYOD into a classroom. Maybe it is a starting point for ideas for your classroom. http://blogs.kqed.org/mindshift/2012/09/how-to-launch-a-successful-byod-program/

      Thanks for the complement, Dawn. I am glad you find my blog helpful. I am happy to assist and support any way I can:)

      Delete